The ride home from Hanoi was somewhat eventful. The Cathay Pacific bassinet was a JOKE. Every time the fasten seatbelt sign came on, they would make you wake the baby to strap her into another JOKE of a seatbelt in your lap. It didn't take me long before I asked them to come get the bassinet and take it away. We ended up having to take turns holding her for most of the 12 hours. That was when I was sick as a dog and Mom was starting to get sick. Joy, joy! LOL Thank for Lord for Katie being there to help us. I truly don't know what I would have done without both of them there to help me.
Samantha is sleeping okay, but she fights going to sleep, and she is still somewhat on Vietnam time. We are encouraging her toward an Idaho sleep schedule. It seems like two steps forward and one step backward. I know we'll get there, though. She is such a pleasant little girl when she's awake. She wakes up with all smiles and entertains herself pretty well throughout the day. We have loved playing with her and watching her explore new things. She LOVED the balloons that Erica got for her at the airport. Avery delivered the balloons, and Samantha couldn't stop looking at them. We have had to hide the balloons periodically because she won't feed or go down for a nap when they are around. She loves them so much!
She's getting used to being strapped in everywhere she goes. After riding in the taxis in Hanoi, she's NOT used to the car seat here at home. She cries almost every time we put her in it, but she's getting better about it. We had to take her to the doctor early last week, and they ran some blood work on her. The doctor was IMPRESSED with her so much. He said he had never seen an adopted child who showed evidence of being so well cared for. He was amazed at how she looked him in the face and had motor skills for her age range. He was also impressed with her overall health. Like I said, we did run some more tests that were already run in Vietnam just to make sure she was truly healthy before beginning to administer immunizations. Of course I'm worried about starting those, but I know they are necessary. We're gonna take it really slowly and only do one immunization at a time. Her doctor is so good about listening to my concerns and working with me on this. I really like his style so far, and that's a good thing, especially for a new mommy.
When we got home we were welcomed by friends and family at the airport. It was so great to introduce Samantha to loved ones. We just wished Brad could have been there too! I miss you, Brad, and can't wait 'til you get home. Brad's squadron (The Bold Tigers) has a welcome tiger that they put at the homes of families with new babies. Katie and Erica arranged to have it at the house when I arrived home for a very special treat! I was in tears when I saw it. It was so thoughtful of them to welcome Samantha home like that. It had balloons attached and a sign to welcome Samantha home. see below... Thanks 391st!!!
Well I'm gonna get some more stuff done around the house while she's sleeping. Sorry for such a delay in blogging. I doubt I'll be blogging daily any more, but I'll update periodically as there's more to share. Here are some photos and a video of the homecoming and a few pics since getting home:






4 comments:
Welcome home! So sorry to read that you all have been sick. Hope that you are feeling much better. Samantha is adorable. Loved seeing her homecoming video. The sleeping and car seat WILL get better.
Well its great to see that you made it home. It looks like Becky, Grandma Bunny, and Lila will be home Tuesday. It was great getting to meet you, your mom, Katie in Hanoi. Tell Katie thanks from me for hanging with Becky it was really great for her. Good luck on everything.
Welcome home! Hope you guys start feeling better soon! She is so cute! :-)
You have been tagged. Please visit my blog to see the rules!
Have enjoyed your blog.
Diana
Post a Comment