Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Have a Cat!

OK... Not really. Let me explain. Years ago when I graduated college (undergrad), I moved to Oregon and got two cats. The first night I brought them both home, I cried because I realized they were completely dependent on me for everything. I had one of those moments today! We've all been giggling about the phrase, "I have a cat!" today. Just a little inside track on my life. ;-)

Samantha has been so amazing through all of this. She is such a happy baby and so easy to take care of. What a blessing! I was thinking how grateful I am for her and how wonderful she is, and it hit me that I hope I can be the kind of mommy she deserves. Then I remembered the cat incident, and this is way more significant! It was a 10-minute cry-fest of happiness and a little bit of fear. I am sooooooo happy, though.

We decided to hang around the hotel for the most part today after a very busy and exciting first day together. Samantha has played, laughed, talked, kissed, eaten and napped all day. Her favorite toys are books, spoons, plastic straws and a gum stimulator that looks like a toothbrush. She loves opening and closing books, but most of all, she enjoys chewing on them. We went to the grocery store again today to get some extra things to organize our messy room and some rice cereal for the little peanut.

Last night she fell asleep around 10:30 pm after two nice naps on the bus and a good nap at the orphange. She napped a little today twice but not a lot, so I'm not surprised she fell asleep early. She got a little cranky, took a bottle and was OUT! Mama had to put her in her pj's while I was feeding her because she started dozing so quickly. They have been waking her every 3 hours at the orphanage (I believe that's what they said), so she's used to waking in the middle of the night to be fed. I'm sure we'll continue with that trend for a while and slowly work away from it.

We didn't take a ton of pictures today, but here are a few:





Dana

7 comments:

Sandra & Steve said...

She's beatuiful, the pics are great, you did such a wonderful job for the waiting families too. You both look so happy together. I can tell you already are a great mom, cause great moms worry about whether or not they are good enough! Enjoy VN!

The Hines Family said...

Samantha is beautiful! She is blessed to have you! Glad she is doing well! :-)

Unknown said...

Ahhhhhhh you're going to be perfect because that is what great mom's do best - they worry! You two look amazing and sweet together! All the best for a wonderful trip!

CONGRATS!

Dawn Edgar
fellow PLAN family!

THF said...

Congratulations! I love all the pics but the one with your Mom is precious. All the best, Tracy (a PLAN Mommie)

Anonymous said...

Samantha is soooooo cute and so smart, she already says "Mama".
Your Uncle Fred and Aunt Mary Clare and all your cousins in Texas are watching everyday and can't wait to meet your little angel. We know what a GREAT Mom you'll be, and of course, what a great family she's getting. We love you and send lots of hugs and kisses!!!!!!

Mark and Mary said...

You look so perfect together. Isn't motherhood great? Don't worry about the future, enjoy today. They will give us gray hairs soon enough!

Leigh and Anthony said...

Samantha is so beautiful. Enjoy your time in Vietnam.